Jordgubbstårtan (Strawberry Cake or quite simply Swedish Cake) is a classic strawberry cake that never goes out of style and a summer classic that is suitable for all festive occasions! Perfect for midsummer, birthday parties or just summer coffee. The Strawberry Cake mainly consists of sweet strawberries and fluffy cream, mmmmmm!!!
The filling can consist of fruit, jam or vanilla cream but in this case we like to think of it as less is more. We like to let the cream and the strawberries be the heroes.
What better cake to make when summer has just started?
All you need is: 2-3 eggs, 2 dl caster sugar, 2 3/4 dl wheat flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 50 g melted butter, 1 dl milk, 0.5 kg fresh strawberries
1. Grease a cake tin and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar until the batter is thick and porous.
3. Mix the flour with the baking powder.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the egg batter.
5. Add the melted butter mixed with the milk and mix everything into a smooth batter.
6. Pour the batter into the greased cake tin. Bake at 175 degrees for about 35 minutes.
7. Wash and clean the strawberries. Save some of the prettiest ones for the garnish of the cake.
8. Mash the strawberries with a fork into a batter. Taste to see if sugar is needed or not.
9. Divide the cake in half, easiest with a long and sharp knife.
10. Stick the lower part with a fork several times so that the mashed strawberry batter can run down into the cake base. Spread out the mashed strawberry batter.
11. Then place the top of the cake on top of the base.
12. Let the cake stand for an hour or more so it gets juicy.
13. Whip 2.5 - 3 dl of cream quite hard. Add some sugar if you want to.
14. Then cover the whole cake with the cream and decorate it with the prettiest strawberries.
15. Enjoy your very own Jordgubbstårta!