RECIPE FOR RULLTÅRTA
Today, on August 9th we celebrate Rulltårtans Dag and we of course want to share a delicious recipe with you. The word for rulltårta in English is funnily enough- Swiss Cake, but in spite of the name, the origins of this delicious cake are unclear. One things is clear though, it is very popular in Scandinavia. Rulltårta is a classic cake which can be served for all and any occasion. It is simple to make and it comes out beautiful.
You can make rulltårta with many different fillings, with chocolate, buttercream, vanilla cream, berries, lemon curd, nutella, you name it. The old classic, however, is rulltårta filled with raspberry jam which is often served with cream on top or on the side.
Have you celebrated Rulltårtans Dag today? What filling did you use?
This recipe is for the classic Rulltårta, with raspberry jam.
1.5 dl sugar
2 dl flour
1 tsp baking Soda
1 tablespoon water
1.5 dl jam
1. Set the oven to 250 °. Cover a baking tray, 30 x 40 cm, with baking paper.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar really white and puffy.
3. Mix flour and baking powder and turn it carefully, alternating with the water in the batter. Stir gently to a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the frying pan.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the frying pan. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 5 minutes.
5. Take the cake out of the oven, sprinkle with a little sugar and then turn it upside down with the sugared side on a baking sheet.
6. Remove the baking paper (brush with a little cold water so it comes off more easily) from the cake.
7. Spread a thin, even layer of jam over the entire cake.
8. Roll up the cake using the paper, from the long side.
9. Let the cake cool for a bit.
10. Enjoy with family, friends or on your own, with or without cream.