“Köttbullemacka med rödbetssallad” (meatball sandwich with beetroot sallad) is one of the most popular classic Swedish sandwiches. This sandwich reminds many Swedes of their childhood and brings up good memories for many of us. It's not just a delicious sandwich, it's nostalgia with every bite.
The colourful meatball sandwich is perfect to make after Christmas when you have leftover beetroot salad and meatballs in the fridge or if you just have meatballs left over from yesterday's dinner.
To make a meatball sandwich with beetroot salad , you can make homemade beetroot salad, but pre-made is just as good.
All you need for four delicious sandwiches is: 10 small whole pickled beets, 1 dl mayonnaise, a bit of salt and black pepper, about 15 meatballs, 1/4 pot chives, 1 dl roasted onion, 4 slices of dark bread (or any bread of your choice) and a slice of lettuce if you feel like it.
1. Cut the beetroot into fine wedges
2. Mix the beets with the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper
3. Cut the meatballs in half.
4. Finely chop the chives and mix with the onions.
5. Place 2 slices of bread on each plate.
6. make the sandwich just the way you wamt. We normally add the lettuce and then spread the beetroot salad on the bread, add meatballs and top with the roasted onion and chive mix .