In the culinary world, Kingfish is prized for its firm texture and rich flavour, which also makes it very versatile, great for grilling, pan-roasting, or even raw in sashimi. In this recipe, this wonderfully flavoured fillet is pan roasted to perfection with its taste complimented by a citrus and chilli glaze adding a vibrant zing, often found in coastal cuisines where Kingfish is a staple.
Ingredients for Kingfish:
2 Kingfish fillets
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Citrus Chilli Glaze:
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp honey
1 red chili, finely chopped (adjust amount based on heat preference)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
Zest of half an orange
Zest of half a lime
1. Season the Kingfish fillets with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
2. Once hot, place the Kingfish fillets skin-side down. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until the skin is crisp.
Carefully flip the fillets and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the fish is cooked through but still moist inside.
3. For the glaze, combine orange juice, lime juice, honey, chopped chili, minced garlic, grated ginger, and soy sauce in a small saucepan.
4. Bring to a simmer and reduce until it thickens slightly.
5. Stir in the orange and lime zest, then remove from heat.
Once the Kingfish is cooked, transfer to a serving plate with the skin side up and generously drizzle with the citrus & chili glaze.
The glaze should pool around the fish, creating an aromatic, flavorful sauce.