Jordgubbsrutor, or Strawberry squares in English, is like a summery and juicy sponge cake but still differs a little in taste from a regular sponge cake. It’s more delicious! It's a simple recipe that is made in a “långpanna” (roasting pan) so just mix the batter, chop some strawberries and bake it in the roasting pan, super simple! Perfect for big summer parties.
All you need is: 300 g strawberries, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 dl milk, 3 dl sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 4 1/2 dl wheat flour, 100 g butter, 2 tsp vanilla sugar, florsocker (icing sugar) for garnish.
1. Start by setting your oven to 150 degrees if you have a convection oven, otherwise 175 degrees. Then continue with cleaning and rinsing your strawberries, which you then chop into small pieces.
2. Take out a pan and melt 100 grams of butter, when the butter has melted add the milk.
3. While the mixture is cooling, whisk the eggs and sugar in a spacious bowl. When the mix is fluffy, stir the butter and milk mixture into the sugar and egg mix.
4. Mix all dry ingredients, wheat flour, vanilla sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl. Then add the mixed dry ingredients to the batter and mix it to a batter.
5. Grease a pan and then pour in the batter. Sprinkle over your strawberries and bake in the lower part of the oven for about 30 min. Test the strawberry squares with a skewer to make sure they are done. Serve with a little icing sugar and, if you like, some vanilla ice cream. Yum!