To wrap up liquorice week we thought we'd share three delicious recipes with you, in case you just can't get enough of the Scandinavian Black Gold (we can't!).
Let's start off with...........Liquorice bread!
Now you're probably thinking: 'What on earth?!' but if you are a liquorice lover, trust us, you will love this bread!
All you need is 1/2 cup of water and:
1. Place the liquorice pieces and water in a small saucepan and put on medium/low heat.
2. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquorice has softened quite a lot.
3. Transfer to a food processor or blender and blitz until you have a smooth puree.
4. For the cake, start by greasing and lining a loaf tin and preheating the oven to 180°C.
5. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
6. Fold in the zest, juice and flours and finally the liquorice puree.
7. Spoon batter into the cake tin then bake for 35-45 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes in the tin before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Our second suggestion is this crazy delicious and easy to make liquorice mug cake. It only takes about 90 seconds to make and 90 seconds to bake so if you have three minutes to spare and want something fluffy, black and delicious- we highly recommend trying this.
Last but absolutely not least, we just couldn't make a blog post about liquorice recipes without adding home made salmiakki vodka! To make this Finnish classic simply add one or two bags of salty liquorice (we recommend Tyrkisk Peber) into 70 cl of vodka and let it dissolve, let it stand for about two days, put it in the freezer and ENJOY!
Let us know if you try any of these Scandinavian Gold recipes and tell us what you think:)