Västerbottenostpaj or Västerbottenpaj (Västerbotten cheese pie) is the ultimate pie with a perfect balance between creaminess, saltiness and acidity made from the very special and delicious Västerbotten cheese from Västerbotten county in the north of Sweden.
Västerbottenost (Västerbotten cheese) was actually invented by mistake by dairy maid Ulrika Eleonora Lindström who in 1872 created the recipe which is the basis for the Västerbottenost that we still eat today. Her mysterious recipe is a well-kept secret that only a few people have access to and it's only allowed to be made in Burträsk in Västerbotten. You could say it's like the champagne of cheeses
Västerbottenost is a granular hard cheese stored for 14 months. It has loads of character and a strong aromatic taste, with an undertone of truffle. Perfect on the sandwich or in cooking, or to make the wonderful Västerbotten pie with.
Västerbotten pie is a big favourite among the Swedes and perfect on the buffet table for all festivities, regardless of occasion. It's great for Midsummer, Easter or on the Christmas table. It is also a very popular addition to the crayfish at the crayfish party. Some people prefer to eat the pie as a dinner dish, with a fresh salad on the side. Others bake the pie in smaller moulds, top them with crème fraiche, fish roe and chives and eat as a snack with a glass of champagne. There are plenty of ways to cook, top and eat this popular classic pie. Why not try it yourself?
All you need is: 125 g butter, 3 dl wheat flour, 1 tablespoon water, 300 g grated Västerbotten cheese, 3 eggs, 2 dl cream, a pinch of black pepper.
1. Set the oven to 225°.
2. Mix butter and flour in a food processor to a crumbly dough.
3. Add the water and mix together to a smooth dough.
4. Press the pie dough into a pie tin (24 cm in diameter). Notch the mould at the bottom and set in the oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Whisk eggs and cream, add the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the cheese filling onto the pie crust.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes until the pie has set.
7. Let the pie cool.
8. Enjoy with side dishes of your choice, such as crayfish, roe, finely chopped red onion, dill and a dash of creme fraiche.